South Main Recycles
Downtown residents will now have easier access to recycling.
South Main Recycles is officially bringing recycling back to Downtown Memphis beginning April 17, 2017! The recycling station is located next to the Midsouth Casters & Equipment at 78 W Carolina Ave. The single stream station accommodates all recyclables in one container – bottles, cans, paper, plastic bottles, cardboard, and even pizza boxes. No sorting is necessary. Recycling has just gotten quicker, easier, and more local.
Accepted Recyclables Include:
- Any colored glass (bottles & jars only, no glassware)
- Plastics #1 through #5 & #7 (NOT #6)
- Paper products (magazines, newspapers, office paper, phone books, paperboard, juice & milk cartons, shredded paper & file folders)
- Cardboard (flattened & broken down)
- Metal (aluminum cans, aluminum pans & metal food cans)
Unaccepted Recyclables Include:
- Polystyrene #6 (aka styrofoam)
- Food waste
- Food contaminated products
- Tissues, napkins or paper towels
- Plastic bags
Recycling Schedule: Bins are emptied every Monday, Wednesday and Friday*
The area will be under 24-hour surveillance
*If bins are full, residents should not leave recycling outside or near the bins, but are encouraged to return when the bins are empty again.
South Main Recycles is a community project made possible by partnerships with Midsouth Casters & Equipment, Clean Memphis, Lawrence Management, Downtown Neighborhood Association, South Main Association and Downtown Memphis Commission. And made possible, in part, by a Neighborhood Crime Prevention Grant from the City of Memphis.
Want to stay in the loop of all things happening in Downtown Memphis?
Our weekly Downtown Memphis newsletter is the source on what to do each week in Downtown. This free publication is emailed every Thursday morning.
For a more comprehensive view of events taking place in Downtown, visit our Events page.