Memphis has been nationally recognized as a leader in efforts to meet the needs of individuals who are experiencing homelessness. Through Downtown churches and outreach agencies, meal programs are readily available seven days a week. Caring, competent providers are easily accessible to assess the needs of a homeless person and refer him or her to appropriate housing, medical care, or residential treatment and recovery services for substance abusers.
Since 1995, Community Alliance for the Homeless, Inc. (formerly Partners for the Homeless) has served as the city's premier information source for homeless programs. Community Alliance for the Homeless links planners, providers, data, and resources to develop a comprehensive system for ending homelessness.
If you are seeking assistance for someone, or are interested in donating money or your time to help our local homeless population, following is a list of downtown providers for emergency shelters and assistance programs:
- Community Alliance Homeless Outreach Tool for single adults
- Emergency Housing Hotline 901-529-4545 for families
- Hospitality Hub drop in center offering information, referrals, lockers and other assistanve for people experiencing homelessness, 755-2570, 146 Jefferson Avenue.
- Room in the Inn provides emergency shelter and meals during the coldest months of the year—November through March
- Calvary Rescue Mission - shelter for adult men, 775-2570, 960 S. Third Street
- Memphis Union Mission - emergency shelter for adult men and transitional housing for intact families, 526-8403, 383 Poplar Avenue
- Porter Leath Children's Center - emergency shelter for youth, 577-2500, 868 N. Manassas
- Shelby County Victims Assistance Center - assistance for victims of violent crimes, 545-4357 (call for location)
- YWCA Abused Women's Services - emergency shelter for battered women with and without children, 725-4277 (call for location)
- Alpha Omega Veterans Services - drop in center providing food and shower facilities for veterans and access for transitional housing, 726-5066, 1183 Madison Avenue